Just the soup to enjoy to celebrate the beginning of the warm months!
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1/4 cups thinly sliced leeks
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups(or more) low-salt chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh fennel, divided
- 1/4teaspoon(or more) freshly grated nutmeg
- Fine sea salt
- 1/8 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon very thinly sliced lemon peel (yellow part only)
- Small fresh fennel sprigs (for garnish)
Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add leeks and cook until softened and wilted, stirring often, 5 to 6 minutes (do not brown). Add potato; stir to coat. Add broth, increase heat to high, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes.
Working in batches, puree soup with 2 tablespoons fennel and nutmeg in blender until very smooth. Transfer to large bowl. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover and chill. DO AHEADCan be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.
Whisk yogurt, lemon peel, and remaining 1 tablespoon fennel in small bowl. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
Use small bowl mixture as a garnish, dollop into each serving bowl when setting your table.